Without a doubt, crystals are a stunning addition to any home or accessory. However, there’s a lot more going on beneath their sparkly surfaces than meets the eye.
Crystals are capable of cleansing and protecting your energy, raising your vibration, boosting your mood, enhancing your creativity, and more. It’s no wonder that their popularity has skyrocketed in recent years!
But with over 200 different crystals to choose from, it can feel overwhelming to figure out which ones would be the best fit for you - especially if you’re just getting acquainted with these magical stones.
To help you get started with your crystal collection, here are the top 10 must-have crystals for beginners and how to use them!
1. Selenite: For Cleansing Your Energy
Selenite is an essential part of anyone’s crystal collection and is one of the first crystals recommended to beginners. Selenite is named after the Greek Goddess of the Moon, Selene, and is known for spreading light in moments of darkness. It can help ease worries, enhance feelings of peace and tranquility, and clear any negative or heavy energies.
Selenite comes in many different shapes and sizes from towers, wands, rods, and hearts to suit anyone’s preferences and needs. As a powerful crystal, it can also be used to charge and cleanse other stones in your collection.
How to Use Selenite:
As a highly versatile crystal, there are many ways to use selenite. If you’re just getting started, here are some suggestions:
- Place pieces of selenite in your window sills and doors. This will help welcome positive and uplifting energy into your home and keep lower frequencies from all planes out.
- Hold a piece of selenite in your hand and wave it over your body - including over the top of your head. This will help you cleanse your own aura and energetic field.
2. Amethyst: For Protection and Intuition
Amethyst is another popular and powerful stone. Like selenite, it also comes in countless shapes and sizes. Amethyst encourages feelings of relaxation while simultaneously protecting and cleansing your energy. This stone also helps activate your intuition and can assist with psychic development.
How to Use Amethyst:
- Place a piece of amethyst on your nightstand or near your bed to provide protection and boost feelings of tranquility while you sleep. Please note: this use may not work for everyone. If you find yourself sensitive to this crystal’s intuition-enhancing properties, keep amethyst outside of your bedroom.
- Hold a piece of amethyst while meditating to deepen feelings of relaxation and spiritual connection.
- Keep a stone with you in your pocket throughout your day for protection, more intuitive guidance, and stress relief.
3. Rose Quartz: For Unconditional Love and Compassion
Rose Quartz is the crystal of unconditional love. While you can work with this stone to help welcome new romantic love into your life, rose quartz also assists with emotional healing and self-love. Connected to the heart chakra, rose quartz helps open your heart and encourages compassion and forgiveness in all relationships - including your relationship with yourself, your family, friends, and lovers.
How to Use Rose Quartz:
- Wear a rose quartz necklace to support you with keeping your heart open. You’ll also be able to tap into the stone’s nurturing and loving energy whenever you need throughout your day.
- Meditate with a piece of rose quartz in your hand or place it on your heart to enhance feelings of self-confidence, love, peace, comfort, and acceptance.
4. Clear Quartz: For Healing and Clarity
Clear Quartz is another popular and versatile stone that’s perfect for beginners. It shouldn’t come as a surprise that this transparent crystal can help provide clarity when seeking guidance and answers. Clear Quartz is commonly called a “master healer” and also assists with neutralizing negative energy. This cleansing stone can be used to help balance your energy, regulate the energy of your home, and more!
How to Use Clear Quartz:
- When looking for clarity and solutions, call on this crystal for support and try meditating with a piece of clear quartz in your hand. As an all-purpose crystal, it can be programmed with your intention and keep supporting you along your journey.
- Pair clear quartz with another crystal in your collection to cleanse and amplify that crystal’s properties.
5. Smoky Quartz: For Grounding and Balance
While a handful of the crystals mentioned above are associated with the higher chakras like the heart (rose quartz) and the crown (selenite and clear quartz), smoky quartz is a powerful grounding stone. Grounding helps keep our thoughts and energy anchored and stable. In today’s fast-paced and often chaotic world, smoky quartz can help us feel more at ease and more connected to the Earth - including our immediate environment.
As an added bonus, smoky quartz also provides protection and helps keep negative energy away.
How to Use Smoky Quartz:
- Wear a piece of jewelry with smoky quartz or keep a small stone in your pocket throughout your day. This can help with remaining present, rooted, and calm and help you stay protected from lower vibrations.
- Place a piece of smoky quartz in your home or office space to welcome uplifting energy into the area. With its balancing and calming properties, this stone can help enhance focus as well.
6. Black Tourmaline: For Protection
Don't let this stone's humble appearance mislead you! Black Tourmaline is a highly protective and grounding stone. It's known for absorbing and transmuting negative frequencies and can deepen feelings of safety, peace, stability, and confidence.
How to Use Black Tourmaline:
- Keep a piece of black tourmaline on hand with you wherever you go to help dissolve any negative energies and keep feelings of overwhelm at bay.
- Place pieces black tourmaline around your home, especially your doorways, to help keep your space protected from unwanted vibrations and energy.
7. Green Aventurine: For Healing and Expansion
Green Aventurine is a powerful stone for deep healing. Like rose quartz, green aventurine is also associated with the heart chakra and represents spring, new life, and regrowth. It can help bust through energetic blockages, and strengthen feelings of peace, confidence, courage, and happiness.
How to Use Green Aventurine:
- Hold onto a piece of green aventurine while meditating to tap into the crystal’s healing properties and release any energetic blocks.
- Place green aventurine in your pocket or purse when trying new things outside of your comfort zone. The stone will deepen feelings of confidence, calm your emotional body, and guide you towards success!
8. Citrine: For Abundance and Joy
With its vibrant colors, citrine looks like a ray of sunshine in crystal form. This energizing stone can enhance feelings of confidence, activate your imagination, and improve self-expression. Citrine is often associated with success, prosperity, manifestation, and enthusiasm.
How to Use Citrine:
- Wear or carry a piece of citrine throughout your day to bring its positive and uplifting energy with you wherever you go.
- Place citrine in your work space to help you snap out of procrastination and bring more joy, creativity, and light into your environment.
9. Fluorite: For Clarity, Positivity, and Psychic Development
While fluorite isn’t typically presented as an essential crystal for beginners, we decided that this versatile and underrated stone deserved a spot on this list.
Fluorite comes in a variety of different colors from blue, green, purple, and even rainbow - allowing you to choose your specific stone based on the type of support or healing you need. Overall, fluorite can help with clearing negative energy, raising your vibration, and deepening feelings of clarity, confidence, and peace.
When adding fluorite to your crystal collection:
Blue Fluorite: assists with clear communication, harmony, and emotional healing.
Green Fluorite: connected to the heart chakra, green fluorite helps boost feelings of self-love, release energetic blockages, and find clarity.
Purple Fluorite: associated with the third eye, purple fluorite can help you connect with your intuition and strengthen your psychic awareness. It simultaneously provides protection and enhances feelings of peace.
Rainbow Fluorite: features a combination of the properties listed above based on the colors present in your multicolored stone.
How to Use Fluorite:
- Wearing a piece of fluorite in the form of jewelry or carrying a stone with you can help you connect with its protective and uplifting energy whenever you need. It can help you stay open to creative possibilities and give you a boost of confidence when it’s time to take action.
- Hold onto a piece of fluorite while meditating to tap into feelings of peace and clear any mental, emotional, or energetic blocks.
10. Celestite: For Spiritual Connection and Sleep
With its dreamy blue color and magical name, it’s tough not to fall in love with celestite (also called "celestine"). This stone is a potent yet gentle healing crystal that can help you connect with your Higher Self and Guardian Angels. It’s known for clearing confusion, deepening feelings of peace, supporting dream recall, and helping with the development of intuitive gifts.
How to Use Celestite:
- Meditate with a piece of celestite to receive support from your Higher Self and Angelic Guides.
- Keep a piece of celestite on your nightstand or near your bed for both restful sleep and healing dreams. If you find amethyst’s psychic-enhancing properties too stimulating, celestite’s softer energy may be a better fit for sleeping areas.
From activating your imagination, clearing your energy, connecting to your intuition, and more, our list of the Top 10 Crystals for Beginners gives you the opportunity to experience the whole range of benefits crystals can provide.
As you try out different stones, pay attention to which crystals support you and how they resonate with you:
- Does smoky quartz feel more grounding than black tourmaline?
- Does purple fluorite help you connect with your intuition more than amethyst?
Your personal experiences with various stones will help you determine which stones are the best for you as you dive deeper into the incredible world of crystals.
And if you’re ready to begin growing your collection, visit Ashley’s Light Shop to get started with the essentials!